English as a Second Language
The Rogers Elementary School English as a Second Language (ESL) Program provides services to identified ESL students in Kindergarten and First Grade. The goal of the program is to assist students in language acquisition and academic language skills so that the ELL student can succeed in an English-only classroom.
Students who are new to the U.S. and/or have minimal or no English as determined by the WIDA Screener are assigned to the Immersion Room. Newcomers, Basic, and Low Intermediate ELL students are served on a daily basis in 1 hour and 15 minutes sessions. The instructional approach in this classroom has the following features:
- Instruction is done in English, but the child’s primary language is used to clarify directions.
- There is a strong English language development component in every lesson.
- Language acquisition takes place in a structured, non-threatening environment in which students feel comfortable taking risks.
- Lessons include conversational and environmental language, phonics, vocabulary, and literacy skills.
- Cooperative learning, visuals, and modeling are emphasized.
Melvindale-Northern Allen Park Public Schools accept a parent’s assertion that he or she needs language assistance without requiring additional corroboration. For free help with understanding the content of this our documents please call one of the following:
Central Office 313-389-3300
Ines Ucros (734) 673-4562 (Spanish)
Zaina Nassr (313) 203-1366 (Arabic)